Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Injury and the Fundraising Home Stretch!

Well, I guess since I've been almost pain-free during this whole training process, I was  hoping it wouldn't happen - but it did.  After my run last week, I ended up with a really sore knee.  I'm not sure how it happened, but somewhere about mile 4 out of 6, I started to feel a little discomfort in my left knee.  I kept going for about 1/4 mile, then decided to walk it out for a half a mile and then see if I could pick it up again for the rest of the run.  After I stopped to walk, I couldn't run again for more than a minute or so.  It was starting to tighten up.  I got home, but didn't have time to rest and ice right away - I wanted to shower and get to Kyle's football game.  Well, since he didn't make it through the second quarter before I had to take him to the emergency room (they thought he broke his ankle, but thank goodness it turned out only to be a bad sprain), I didn't get to rest, ice and stretch until later that evening.  By that time I could barely walk.  It's been ice and advil ever since!

I haven't run at all this week and have only been to one spin class.  My knee is feeling better, but not pain free yet.  I'm supposed to do a 10-mile group run on Saturday.  I'm really nervous that my knee won't feel good enough to do it, which in turn would put me behind in training and the race is only 4 weeks away - yikes!  Not doing the race is NOT an option!  I WILL FINISH!

I am really excited to attempt 10-miles on Saturday, something I NEVER thought I would say!  I find myself looking forward to the new challenges.  I'm also realizing that the training in large part is all mental, not physical.  The positive self-motivation and the mental challenges I present to myself are a HUGE part of my success.  While I'm running, I play a mental game with myself - "you can't walk until you hit 2 miles, or the next marker, or the next shaddy spot, etc."  It not only keeps me focused on running (rather than the mental to-do list that is always running through my head!), but I'm motivating myself as well.  It's been hard for me not to track my time each run.  I'm trying to maintain the focus of just completing this 1/2 marathon and not worrying about how fast I run it.  I WILL FINISH!  Just pray that my knee gets better!

My fundraising has been going great!  I have a great network of "cheerleaders" spreading the word for me and helping me fundraise.  Thank you all so much for your generous support and all of the words of encouragement - I really, truly could not do this alone!  If you haven't yet had a chance to check out my website - now is the time!  I have about 10 days left to reach my goal - and EVERY little bit helps!!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/nikesf10/jenzirbes

Again, thank you to everyone who has supported me during this journey.  It means more than you could know.

xo,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment